The parish church of Dunstall, St Mary’s, was built to serve the Dunstall Hall estate by the Arkwright family. After their move to Cromford, the new owner of the estate, John Hardy, completed the church in 1853. The Arkwright family pledged £12,000 in total to help build the church, school (which in now the church hall) and a parsonage as Charles had always wanted to have a church in this community, however he died before any stones were laid, leaving the Hardy family to complete his wishes. To show the community’s appreciation to John Hardy and his wife Isobel, a stained-glass window was erected and dedicated to their memory. It is a Grade II listed building with enough seats to house a carol service of approximately 120 people.
Today the church is part of a joint benefice with St James, Barton and St Michael & All Angels, Tatenhill.